Wednesday, February 17, 2016

R. John Wright Cowardly Lion




I wish I could come up with better adjectives to describe this Lion.  Right now all I can say is WOW!!!!!   I really think in the history of Wizard of Oz collectibles based on the film this is one of, if not the best, representations of the Cowardly Lion.  He has the sweetest, kindest face I've ever seen on a Lion collectible.  I hesitate to even call these dolls anymore.  They are three-dimensional works of out.  The painstaking patience and study that went into producing these is unimaginable to me.  R. John Wright is another artist that has obvious veneration for The Wizard of Oz. He really must be a wonderful wizard to create a collection like that!!  R. John Wright has been featured on many magazine covers and reserved  numerous lauds from the doll community and deservedly so.  




The Cowardly Lion is due out this Summer.  He stands 17 inches tall.  He is all felt and fully jointed.  He'll be produced at R. John Wright's workshop in Vermont.  Only 250 will be made. He is $1575.00

Please see this page for more details and keep an eye out for production photos.  It will be amazing to get a taste of the process that brings these characters to life.  




Here's the gang behind the scenes getting their glamour shots. I SO can't wait to see the final result.  The main characters all together are just breathtaking!!  Courtesy of R. John Wright.